Friday 23 January 2009

Normal Service

Won't be resumed until next week. I'm just too knackered. Had a good day yesterday though. Numbers are up, I was a judge in the National Porters Competition with Zak Avery and four others. We agreed mostly on the line up and I don't think my palate let me down. I met plenty of nice people from the trade as well as local friends and one or two others including Dave from Dave's Beer Blog, with whom I'd have liked to talk properly.

I did make it out to the last bus, stone cold sober and we start again at twelve. Why do we do this I keep asking my self and others, but the punters seem to like it.

Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild is the Champion Winter Beer though I didn't judge that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a vocation. You are fighting the good fight.

NAM said...

Thanks for your efforts and those of all the volunteers.

I went last night and it seemed quieter than the same night last year. I liked the foreign beer bar which seemed bigger than last year and had some interesting stuff: unfiltered Koelsch for one. Selling nips as well as halves and pints helped me find Victoria station afterwards, too.

I particularly enjoyed the Thornbridge St. Petersburg stout.

Anonymous said...

You love it really ;-) Wish I could make it this year, but too busy again. Maybe next time...

Anonymous said...

Peter...

Stone cold sober?

Have we been to the same place?

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Bah, You must be kerknackered. I thought Oakham Attila (the Nun) had won it.

Tandleman said...

John B - yes - I was talking rubbish.

NAM - We actually had several hundred more.

Shell - Well I was sober!

Unknown said...

"Why do we do this?" because you like to make people happy?

If so, I think you suceeded. Don't give up.

But it's a question I ask myself, often. A worthy blog post subject, I think.

I'm sure we'll get a chance for a pint and chat sometime. I might even invade Tandle Hill Tavern sometime, although chances are less once we open for the season.

Anonymous said...

Tried to get some Sarah Hughes at the Festival but they ran out (along with the Thornbridge stuff). Some great beer on though and I met a volunteer who I know from my local village which is about an hour's drive away. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Some photies wot I took are available here.