Monday 11 October 2010

All Change


The Society of Independent Brewers has changed its logo. Gone is the previous handpump dominated logo illustrated in my blog piece here. The change is "in recognition of the growing importance of packaged craft beers among SIBA’s member brewers".

Not a great surprise in some ways, but interesting that the word "craft" is being used. I think this will make little difference to what brewers produce in the short term, but maybe there is a nod to the future here and a recognition that the way we drink beer in the UK is changing and diversifying.

The logo will make its main debut at the Great Northern Beer Festival in Manchester on 28th-30th October. It'll be on all the glasses etc. This is a good time to remind readers of this event. I'm off to an organising meeting for it on Wednesday and it promises to be a fantastic event in a great venue.

It really will be worth a special trip, so hopefully I'll see some of you there.

6 comments:

Mark said...

I think I prefer the overall look of the old logo, but a move away from cask domination sounds good to me. Hopefully "packaged" includes "kegged".

Chunk.

Sid Boggle said...

I think if SIBA are using 'packaging' the way US brewers use it, it's bottling beers as well as racking for on-sales, whether kegged or cask. It would also not draw a distinction between RAIB and other bottled beers.

Makes sense to enlarge the tent to get all the brewers in...

Neville Grundy said...

It's just a change in the logo; probably best not to read too much into it. The initials SIBA do stand out a lot better, and to my mind the old one looked rather amateurish.

Sue B said...

The US has been using the term 'craft brewers/brewing' for years, so applying the same terminology in the UK will show that we're all trying to work to the same aims.

Jeff Pickthall said...

The bottom line makes me feel seasick.

Martyn Cornell said...

Nice colour scheme - it's sort of amber … gold … and black …