Wednesday 13 April 2011

Good Show Chaps


I had a bottle of Avery Brown Dredge last night. We were in the Port St Beer House (freezing as usual) and Tyson insisted. And he paid, such was his insistence. I was expecting not to like it that much, as I thought somehow it might be a bit sweet and sticky given its strength, but I was delightfully surprised to find it just the opposite, being astonishingly clean (I like clean in a beer) and certainly drinking more like a five and a half percenter rather than the 7.5% it is. The hops come shining through after each sip and really showcase the Saaz hop; the malt balance was excellent and the finish had just the right length and hop flourish.  It is a lovely beer with a great deal of elegance and sophistication.

So what else is there to say except, buy* it. It is really good.
 
*Better still, have it bought for you!

5 comments:

Birkonian said...

I'm going to make use of the extra Public Holiday in a couple of weeks to visit the Port Street Beer House for the first time. Are they likely to have any of this beer left?

Sat In A Pub said...

Ok, it's your round next time:)

Coxy said...

I was in there yesterday, some of those bottles were £12 a shout, a bit much for me.

Mark Dredge said...

Glad you approve! I'm really pleased with how clean it tastes and how it makes great use of the Saaz - those were the two killer points we needed it to do.

ZakAvery said...

Aww, thanks! While I'd love to take credit for it (and indeed, I did a lot of the malt-related lifting and shovelling), it was Martin and Stewart who made sure that it came out so great - we gave them an idea that they saw to fruition. Although clearly, it's NOTHING without me, Pete and Mark.